HELPING 16 – 25 YEAR OLDS TO #RUNANDREVISE, 13-19 MAY 2019
During the week of 13-19 May 2019 England Athletics, supported by Mind the mental health charity, is encouraging all 16–25 year old students to #RunAndRevise to take a break from exam revision and improve their mental wellbeing through running one mile or further and having a chat as part of Mental Health Awareness Week.
Runs are currently being registered across the country with England Athletics clubs and RunTogether groups still able to host a public #RunAndRevise session by registering a run here: this can be as part of a regular club/group run or as a specific run aimed at 16-25 year olds or for a particular age range (16-18 or 18-25 year olds). Runners looking to join a #RunAndRevise session can find their nearest run here.
As part of the #RunAndRevise campaign, details of student support groups and advice on coping with exam stress have been included on the webpage:
- 1 in 4 of us experience mental health problems each year and running can help everyone’s mental wellbeing.
- Rates of depression and anxiety among teenagers have increased by 70% in the past 25 years with around one in ten children having a diagnosable mental health disorder.
- 80% of young people say exam pressure has significantly impacted their mental health.
Liz Purbrick, Inclusion Manager at England Athletics, comments: “This new campaign was developed to help young people studying for exams and came out of discussions with our England Athletics Youth Panel. We have been delighted with the response from our member clubs and RunTogether groups to this initiative which will also help raise their profile with this younger age group.”
England Athletics’ national partners will also be promoting the #RunAndRevise campaign and will be encouraging their university and college members to host private #RunAndRevise sessions:
- Mind – https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/children-and-young-people/#.XIDZVij7SUk
- Street Games – https://www.streetgames.org/
- The Mix – https://www.themix.org.uk/
For more information about the #RunAndRevise campaign please contact: email@example.com. England Athletics will provide digital and printed support material to help promote #RunAndRevise sessions following registration.