Many of us are missing our usual sport and physical activities – whether it’s an aqua-aerobics class, a walking football session or a midweek stroll with friends.
It can be hard to keep active whilst staying at home, especially if it is not something you are used to doing. We’ve compiled some resources below, that will hopefully give you a few tips. Keep checking back, as we will be updating this every few days. Physical activity may be at the bottom of your priorities right now, which is fine, these activities may help you to break up the day and keep up your positive habits.
- Adaptive Yoga from Wheelpower: Yoga is a safe and effective way to increase strength, flexibility and balance. They have created two 30 minute seated workouts to help you access the improvements to your physical and mental wellbeing from home.
- The Active Lifestyle team at Cambridge City Council have created a ‘Lets Get Moving’ playlist on their YouTube channel, bringing online classes direct to your living room. The Active Lifestyle team have also started an ‘Active Update Newsletter’, sign up now to receive ideas on how to get and keep yourself and your family active over the next couple of months.
- The ‘Super 6‘ strength and balance is from the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough public health team and part of the ‘Stay Stronger for Longer’ campaign aimed at highlighting how strength and balance exercises can help you to do the things you enjoy, for longer. The Super 6 are six simple exercises, that you can complete in the comfort of your home, without the need for any additional equipment. Try to complete 2-3 times per week, and try the strength and balance challenge below!
- Move it or Lose it UK have created the cuppa routine. The perfect, low intensity workout, that you can do in your kitchen whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. You can access the workout here.
- Make Movement Your Mission is an online facebook community. Led by Later Life training, from the 23rd March they are going to be delivering 3 online sessions, at 08:00 12:00 and 16:00 every day for the next 30 days. The facebook group is also a wonderful place to chat to others who may be in a similar position to you and to support each other to Make Movement Your Mission!