Spring School Games 2018 – Thursday 22nd March 2018 – Click Here for the report
Summer School Games 2018 – Thursday 28th June 2018 – Report to follow event
The School Games is a chance for schools in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough to build on their existing work and boost school sport by creating a year-round competition calendar for all students.
What is the School Games?
The School Games is a key Government priority for realising a meaningful sporting legacy from the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. It is supported by three Government departments – the Department for Education, the Department of Culture, Media & Sport, and the Department of Health – with funding from Sport England, through the National Lottery.
The School Games underline a commitment to providing an approach to competitive school sport and ability to add value across the school. This is designed to motivate and enthuse all young people, in years 3 to 13 of all abilities and backgrounds.
School Games in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
The Games are supported by five School Games Organisers from districts across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. The sports partnerships are: Cambridge SSP, Huntingdonshire SSP, Peterborough, South Cambridgeshire SSP and Witchford SSP.
The School Games Level 3 Festivals in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough are led by a Local Organising Committee (LOC), made up of representatives from across the county including School Sports Partnerships, Headteachers, Cambridgeshire PE Advisor, and Living Sport – the County Sports Partnership. This group works in partnership to deliver Level 2 and Level 3 events.
Local Organising Committee Members
- Andrew Daly – Swavesey Village College (Chair and Secondary School Representative)
– Carol Gronow – Cambridgeshire County Council (Vice Chair and Local Authority Representative)
– Vicci Godbold – Thorndown Primary School (Primary School Representative)
– Claire Thorby – Living Sport (County Sports Partnership Representative)
– Chris Whitfield – Living Sport (School Games Coordinator)
– Ali Cope – Lawn Tennis Association (National Governing Body Representative)
– Claire McDonnell – South Cambridgeshire SSP (School Games Organiser Representative)
– Ian Roberts (Cambridgeshire PE Advisor)
– Sasha Vail (Young People’s Representative)
Before each competition, meetings will take place between four sub-groups. These being:
Competition – Cath Heron, Claire McDonnell, Diane Baker, Andrew Phillips, Doug Finlayson, Chris Whitfield
Culture – Diane Baker (Chair), Andy Phillips, Chris Whitfield
School Engagement – Claire Thorby, Cath Heron, Ian Roberts
Workforce –Claire McDonnell (Chair), Chris Whitfield, Doug Finlayson
Each Festival includes a fantastic Opening Ceremony, with…
• A speech from the Local Organising Committee Chair.
• Performances from successfully nominated schools.
• A reading of the School Games Spirits (Determination, Honesty, Passion, Respect, Self-belief, and Teamwork).
• An official opening by a Sporting Champion.
Medal Ceremonies will conclude each of the sporting competitions to recognise the various schools in becoming county champions.
To QUALIFY for the Level 3 Festivals, schools must enter their Level 2 SSP rounds and should contact their local School Games Organiser:
Cambridge SSP – Cath Heron – firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01223 242931 ext 267 / 07944 320121 Website: www.cambridgessp.com
Huntingdonshire SSP – Doug Finlayson – SGO@Hinchbk.cambs.sch.uk
Telephone: 01480 420503 Website: huntsssp.org
Peterborough – Andrew Phillips – APhillips@stangroundacademy.org
Telephone: 01733 821430 Ext 5795
South Cambridgeshire SSP – Claire McDonnell – email@example.com
Telephone: 01223 265470 Ext 225 Website: scssp.co.uk
Witchford SSP – Diane Baker – firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01354 692491 Website: witchfordssp.co.uk
To register your school via the School Games official website, please click on the link below (School use only)