Stepping stone is about supporting young people and adults with additional needs, to take part in sport. The aim is to help individuals gain entry to regular sporting activities as a participant through the provision of information support and/or financial aid. This will be achieved by working with individuals with additional needs directly or through supporting sports clubs to become more accessible.
What we can provide for individuals
- Information about what sports you could do
- Information about where you can go to do sport
- Funding for items such as uniform, equipment, membership and taster sessions (max £50 bursaries)
- Short term support to attend sessions (subject to volunteer availability)
- Specialist training offered to clubs and providers to support your needs
What is an additional need?
This could be a mental, physical or health related need. These can include but are not limited to:
- Long term health conditions e.g Chronic pain, arthritis, severe asthma or angina
- Physical impairments such as Cerebral Palsy, spinal injuries or amputations
- Sensory impairments
- Learning disabilities
- Autistic Spectrum disorder
- Behavioural difficulties e.g ADHD
- Mental Health issues
Anyone with an additional need can access this service; all you have to do is register, by completing the registration form. Your needs will then be discussed with you and support will be given where possible.
- You must be able to self-certify your additional needs
- You must be able to commit to regularly attending a recognised sporting activity
- You must be able to demonstrate a commitment to self-fund the activity in the long term
- We cannot fund individuals already accessing activities, unless they wish to take up a new role in the club. i.e a participant becoming a coach (in which case there are other bursaries available)
To receive support you must agree to complete the monitoring information we send to you during your time with the project.
For more information and help with registering for the project please contact Rebecca Evans email@example.com 01487 849929
Stepping Stone is been funded by support from Cambridgeshire Community Foundation, the John Stewart Memorial Trust and the Healthy Fenland Fund. Stepping stone funding is now only open to residents of Fenland and the project will run until 31st March 2018.