Details of Course:
This one-day practical workshop being run by Later Life Training introduces the Functional Fitness MOT. It raises awareness of the importance of physical activity and physical function for older people and demonstrates how the FFMOT can help professionals frame their discussion.
The Functional Fitness MOT is a person-centred tool that uses a number of different physical function tests to give older adults an idea of how their fitness compares to their peers. The results of these tests can be used to discuss the different components of fitness and highlight individuals’ strengths and weaknesses.
The Functional Fitness MOT can be used as an educational tool in a variety of settings including leisure centres, shopping precincts, community centres as well as residential settings. It includes activities such as chair sit and reach, 30 second chair stand and handgrip strength.
The purpose of the FFMOT is therefore to:
- Highlight the new Physical Activity Guidelines with older people
- Highlight the importance of the components of fitness, particularly strength and balance
- Use as a motivational tool to engage older people in programmes and activities
Who is it for?
This one day practical course is designed for anyone working with older adults to increase physical activity levels, strength, balance and co-ordination. This includes physical activity practitioners, active ageing development officers, sports development professionals, occupational therapists, therapy assistants, older people health care services, exercise instructors and physiotherapists.
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe the main features of the Functional Fitness MOT and how it works in practice.
- Describe the key elements of the UK physical activity guidelines for older adults.
- Start a meaningful conversation about being active and functional fitness with an older person.
- Identify how the Functional Fitness MOT can be implemented within their setting.
- Know how to access additional resources to support the programme.
What Later Life delegates say about this workshop:
“The Functional Fitness MOT is an absolute must.” Dr David Broom, Sheffield Hallam University
“I would highly recommend your courses and I am scoping further funding opportunities to be able to use your expertise again” Lynn Flannigan, Lanarkshire Care Home Liaison PhysiotherapistThere are currently no course dates planned for this.