U13/U15 Handball Competition 2019 – Monday 11th March 2019
Spring School Games 2019 – Thursday 28th March 2019
Summer School Games 2019 – Thursday 27th June 2019
The School Games is a chance for schools in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough to build on their existing work and boost school sport by creating a year-round competition calendar for all students.
What is the School Games?
The School Games is a key Government priority for realising a meaningful sporting legacy from the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. It is supported by three Government departments – the Department for Education, the Department of Culture, Media & Sport, and the Department of Health – with funding from Sport England, through the National Lottery.
The School Games underline a commitment to providing an approach to competitive school sport and ability to add value across the school. This is designed to motivate and enthuse all young people, in years 3 to 13 of all abilities and backgrounds.
School Games in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
The Games are supported by five School Games Organisers (SGOs) from districts across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. The SGO areas are: Cambridge, Huntingdonshire, Peterborough, South Cambridgeshire and Witchford.
The School Games County Finals in Cambridgeshire & Peterborough are led by a Local Organising Committee (LOC), made up of representatives from across the county including School Sports Partnerships (SSP), Headteachers, the Cambridgeshire PE Advisor, and Living Sport – the County Sports Partnership. This group works in partnership to deliver District and County events.
Local Organising Committee Members
– Andrew Daly – Swavesey Village College (Chair and Secondary School Representative)
– Carol Gronow – Cambridgeshire County Council (Vice Chair and Local Authority Representative)
– Vicci Godbold – Thorndown Primary School (Primary School Representative)
– Claire Thorby – Living Sport (County Sports Partnership Representative)
– Chris Whitfield – Living Sport (School Games Coordinator)
– Ali Cope – Lawn Tennis Association (National Governing Body Representative)
– Claire McDonnell – South Cambridgeshire SSP (School Games Organiser Representative)
– Ian Roberts (Cambridgeshire PE Advisor)
– Vacant (Young People’s Representative)
Before each competition, meetings will take place between four sub-groups. These being:
Competition – Cath Heron, Claire McDonnell, Helen Scotto Di Marrazzo, Andrew Phillips, Doug Finlayson, Chris Whitfield
Culture – TBC
School Engagement – Claire Thorby, Cath Heron, Ian Roberts
Workforce – Claire McDonnell (Chair), Chris Whitfield, Doug Finlayson
Each Festival includes a fantastic Opening Ceremony, which may include:
• A speech from the Local Organising Committee Chair.
• Performances from successfully nominated schools.
• A reading of the School Games Spirits (Determination, Honesty, Passion, Respect, Self-belief, and Teamwork).
• An official opening by a Sporting Champion.
Medal Ceremonies will conclude each of the sporting competitions to recognise the various schools in becoming county champions.
To QUALIFY for the County Finals, schools must enter their District rounds and should contact their local School Games Organiser:
Cambridge SSP – Cath Heron – email@example.com
Telephone: 01223 242931 ext 267 / 07944 320121 Website: www.cambridgessp.com
Huntingdonshire SSP – Doug Finlayson – SGO@Hinchbk.cambs.sch.uk
Telephone: 01480 420503 Website: huntsssp.org
Peterborough – Andrew Phillips – APhillips@stangroundacademy.org
Telephone: 01733 821430 Ext 5795
South Cambridgeshire SSP – Claire McDonnell – firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01223 265470 Ext 225 Website: scssp.co.uk
Witchford SSP – Helen Scotto Di Marrazzo – HScottoDiMarrazzo@improveit.ltd
Telephone: 01354 692491 Website: witchfordssp.co.uk
To register your school via the School Games official website, please click on the link below (School use only)