Living Sport have been successful in receiving funding from the National Lottery Awards for All fund in order to run ‘Play With Pride’ a project aiming to tackle homophobic behaviour and supporting LGBT+ young people within a sport and physical activity setting. Through consultation with the LGBT+ society within a local college it was found that 94% of the group don’t participate in regular sport or physical activity.
Studies show that hosting LGBT specific sessions, and having members of staff LGBT trained are very strong motivators for participation in physical activity. The Play With Pride project aims to help more LGBT young people to experience the benefits that physical activity can bring to their physical, social and mental wellbeing that physical activity can offer. Play With Pride will achieve this by:
- Upskilling sport coaches and clubs through training workshops delivered by the Kite Trust
- Training young people to become ‘LGBT Leaders’.
- Work alongside LGBT Leaders to visit local clubs and award a ‘Rainbow Rating’ to help gauge how well they cater for the LGBT community.
- Delivery of 2 ‘Play With Pride Sport Festivals’, raising awareness of physical activity offers and offering access to other LGBT support organisations and community groups.
- Creation of two LGBT activity clubs, led by young people and inclusive, qualified coaches.
The project will run until November 2019. If you are part of a sports club and are interested in receiving a Rainbow Rating, or would like further information about the project please contact Tom.Oliver@livingsport.co.uk.