Go to Top

For Parents/Carers

If you are a parent or guardian use the following set of questions to help you decide which club is best for your child.

These questions are designed to provide parents/carers with information on good safe sports practice.  Further information can be found on the NSPCC Child Protection in Sport Units website www.thecpsu.org.uk

You can find a downloadable copy below of our Safeguarding Leaflet for Parents/Carers.

Who do I tell if my child takes medication?

Sports organisations/coaches need to be aware of any medication that your child is taking, or if they have any other particular needs. You should be asked when you first attend an activity, but if not, inform the coach.

Are the coaches qualified?

  • All coaches / leaders must hold an up to date nationally recognised governing body coaching qualification/s which is appropriate to the level and sport being coached.
  • In general, an assistant coach must hold a Level 1 qualification and should coach under the supervision of a more experience and qualified coach. A Level 2 qualification is required for a coach to be coaching on their own.

Do the coaches have appropriate training?

  • It is recommended that coaches have attended nationally recognised child protection training. Training should be recognised by the appropriate National Governing Body, Sports Coach UK or Local Safeguarding Children’s Board.
  • If coaches are working in schools it is recommended that they have attended education awareness training

Are coaches and club personnel suitable to work with children and young people?

All coaches and club personnel who have direct contact with children and young people should have been appropriately screened. This should include:

  • The successful completion of a Disclosure & Barring Service check
  • Appropriate references taken

Are the coaches insured?

  • Coaches should have up to date and appropriate insurance cover.

What is the player/coach ratio?

The ratio of Coaches to participants varies from sport to sport and should be based on:

  • The age and ability of the children involved
  • The risk involved in the activity
  • Needs of young people with disabilities in the group

Contact the sports National Governing Body for sport specific guidance.

What happens if my child is involved in away fixtures?

  • The club will take responsibility to ensure the safety of your child whist in their care
  • The sports club/organisation should inform you about the event arrangements.
  • You should know how your child is getting to and from the event
  • Prior to the fixture you should be provided with a parental consent form. You will need to complete this form and return it clearly stating emergency contact numbers and medical information.

National Governing Body Accreditation

The sports club/organisation should have, or be working towards CLUBMARK or the National Governing Body Accreditation that outlines minimum operating systems of the sport which ensures that the club is committed to providing a safe, effective and child friendly environment. The sports club/organisation should be working to Minimum Operating Standards outlined by their National Governing Body.

Child protection policy

  • Club/organisations should have a child protection policy which outlines procedures for dealing with possible abuse, disclosures or poor practice
  • The club / organisation have a responsibility to act on any instances of abuse, disclosure or poor practice.
  • Parents/carers should be aware of the policy and be able to view the policy on request

Code of conduct

  • Clubs/organisations should have a written code of conduct for parents/carers, coaches, club staff/volunteers and participants


  • The club/organisation should have public liability insurance

Health and safety

  • The premises/venue should satisfy fire regulations
  • The club / organisation should issue a consent form for all new members requesting details of emergency contacts, medical history and consent for your child to be photographed or videoed

The club/organisation should have:

  • Somebody on site who holds a first aid qualification, access to a first aid box and telephone
  • Guidelines for dealing with injuries
  • Mechanisms in place to ensure the safety of the venue and equipment.


Share on Social MediaFacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+